Choosing foods wisely can be made easy and effortless by following the Green Tribe Food Guide. The guide provides a breakdown of :
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Fats and Oils
- Milk and alternatives
- Grain products
- Meat/Fish and Alternatives
- How much food you need from each food group;
- What foods can be found in each food group;
- Choosing oils and fat;
- Beverages; and
- Tips for choosing and preparing foods.
Fruits and Vegetables
A diet rich in a variety fruit and Vegetables may help reduce the risk of many ailments, as well as provide the body with some vital essential nutrients. The inclusion of at least one fruit or Vegetables in every meal helps make the amount required per day. Also, try to be creative with your fruit and vegetables intake by exploring a variety of textures, tastes, place of origin, colours etc.
Here are some easy steps to follow to help improve your Fruits and Vegetables intake.
- Have vegetables and fruit more often than their juices.
- Enjoy vegetables steamed, baked or stir-fried.
- Choose fruits or vegetables that are prepared with little or no added fat, sugar or salt.
- Go for orange vegetables such as sweet potatoes, carrots and winter squash.
- Go for dark green vegetables such as spinach (Sag), broccoli, romaine lettuce.
- Eat at least one dark green and one orange vegetable each day.
Here is a table of fruit and vegetable servings you need per day. Find your age group and sex in the chart below:
Recommended Number of Green Tribe Food Guide Servings per Day of fruits and vegetables